Intermediate · 30 minutes
Installing Algorand Studio on Windows 10 using WSL 2
Algorand Studio is an IDE to develop Algorand Smart Contracts (ASC1) for the Algorand Blockchain. It currently supports Mac OS and Linux systems, so we will install it on Windows 10 using WSL 2 with Ubuntu 16.0.04 or higher version.
You will learn:
• Installing Algorand Studio on Windows 10 using WLS2
• Running Algorand Studio
You will need to have a basic knowledge of using Ubuntu WSL 2 commands to complete this tutorial. It is also recommended to use the WSL Docs as a guide.
1. Run WSL from Command-Line (cmd) or PowerShell
Run the following command from your preferred command-line shell, (e.g.: using PowerShell)
2. Download Algorand Studio
3. Install the required ubuntu Libraries
In order to run AppImage in WSL 2 you will need to install the following packages:
sudo apt install libgtk2.0-0 sudo apt install libsecret-1-0 sudo apt install gnome-keyring
4. Prepare to run the Algorand Studio GUI on Windows
Running Algorand Studio image is a tricky, so you will need to do these steps first:
You should change the files path part “Users/User” to your usergroup/user name. For example, the download path for John user with usergroup Users should be “C:\Users\John\Downloads\”
- Install Vcxsrv (or another X Windows Server that runs on Windows) and launch it
- Export the display monitor to the host using the following command:
export DISPLAY="`grep nameserver /etc/resolv.conf | sed 's/nameserver //'`:0" >> ~/bashrc export NO_AT_BRIDGE=1 >> ~/bashrc eval $(dbus-launch --sh-syntax) export DBUS_SESSION_BUS_PID >> ~/bashrc export DBUS_SESSION_BUS_WINDOWID >> ~/bashrc eval $(echo -n "" | /usr/bin/gnome-keyring-daemon --login) eval $(/usr/bin/gnome-keyring-daemon --components=secrets --start)
- Make the downloaded file as an executable file where you have downloaded it in Step2 using the following command:
chmod a+x /mnt/c/Users/User/Downloads/AlgorandStudio-0.3.0.AppImage
- Make sure that you have run the X Server
- Extract the AppImage using the following command:
5. Start Algorand Studio
- Start Algorand Studio using the following command:
cd /mnt/c/Users/User/Downloads/ & ./squashfs-root/AppRun
Install Algorand Studio Dependencies (Docker, Algorand node, and PyTeal.) by Click on Install button next to each dependency as shown on the above image.
Choose the Network (we will select Testnet)
Click on “Algorand Versions” button to select and install the version you want.
Click on Create Instance Button to create a new Node instance.
- Click on Start Button to start the instance
6. Video Recap
By completing this tutorial, you will be able to create Projects for several purposes on the Algorand Blockchain . Its recommended to continue your learning by completing the multipart Algorand Studio Tutorial Series.